Do you know that there are possibilities that there is a deadly gas around your home? This gas is called Radon. It is formed by a reaction between uranium, water, and air. People living on ground floors or lower levels are at more risk for Radon. It is necessary to get radon testing done before buying or selling your house, and if there is Radon in your house, work towards radon mitigation. Radon is found in the United States, so make sure to get radon testing done if you are buying a home there. Radon testing should be done after every two years.
Radon is a toxic gaseous substance. Gas is something we can’t see, taste, or sometimes smell, so it becomes more dangerous. If we face any health issue, we won’t even know that it’s because of Radon. That’s why it’s so crucial to get radon testing done.
Dangers from Radon
- This gas is fatal for your health. It can cause lung cancer because deadly fumes are generated from Radon. People who smoke regularly are at more risk from Radon.
- This gas is said to cause infertility in men.
- Radon makes the immune system weak, which keeps you at risk for several illnesses.
- Other than that, many psychological problems, such as anxiety, mood swings, and irritation, can also be caused.
How to do radon mitigation?
Radon mitigation is a way of lowering the radon level in your homes by applying certain techniques and systems.
- The first technique is the plastic sheeting. A flexible plastic sheet is installed under the house’s flooring that blocks the Radon from reaching your home above the ground level.
- The second thing that can be done is to install a vent system so that there is enough ventilation underground and stops the toxic air from entering your house. It is the most efficient, effective, and easy method that saves a lot of time and effort. This process is called soil suction.
- Another method is active soil depressurization. In this method, a system is installed at the time your place of residence is being built. It diverts the air coming to your house in another direction, thus stopping the Radon from entering your house.
- Places known for their hot temperature, and high humidity has heat recovery ventilators, which act as a humidifier, which keeps the wavering temperature normal inside the house.
- When the level of Radon in the soil is high, it also enters underground water. Drinking this water can cause stomach cancer. To eliminate Radon from water or prevent it from entering the activated carbon system is installed, the carbon filters the water from radioactive material.
Precautions to be undertaken while doing radon mitigation
- Make sure an experienced and well-educated service provider does all these techniques.
- If you get radon testing done, ensure that you have all the updated paperwork with you, consisting of the testing result.
- If you renovate your house or any structural changes, make sure to get a new ventilation system installed.
- Ensure the radon mitigation technique or the installed system is durable, requires less maintenance, and is budget-friendly.
Be cautious and keep all these points in mind while doing radon mitigation.
Having Radon in your home is surely dangerous. However, there are a number of ways for its mitigation. The main point is to safely and carefully carry out the process by doing proper research first, preferably under the guidance of a professional.
Read Also: A Guide to Planning Your Renovations